The building of the Mardin Museum, situated next to Cumhuriyet Square, was originally constructed as the Church of Virgin Mary and as the part of the Syriac Catholic Patriarchate by the Patriarch of Antioch, Ignatios Behnan Banni in 1895. Converted into a museum in 1995, this structure has three stories. On the first floor are: the information desk, conference, exhibition and relaxation salons; on the second floor, the salon reserved for the ethnographical items and the library and craft display cabinets; on the third floor: exhibition salons for pieces excavated from Girnavaz Mound and for archaeological pieces that are bought and added to the museum collection
The museum houses ceramics, seals, cylindrical stamps, coins, lamps, figurines, teardrop bottles, jewellery, vases and many other pieces belonging to the Early Bronze, Middle Bronze and Late Bronze Ages, the First Iron Age, Assyrian, Urartian, Persian, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, Artukid and Ottoman periods. In the salon reserved for the ethnographical items are choice pieces of silverwork from Mardin and its environs, especially Midyat, including: necklaces, earrings, bracelets, anklets, pieces worn on the forehead, original clothing, swords, coffee (myrrh) sets, bathhouse pieces, prayer beads, heating implements and copper pieces.
1.Cadde, Cumhuriyet Alanı
Tel : (0482) 212 16 64
Faks : (0482) 212 77 97
The museum is open everyday except Mondays from 08.00 - 17.00