It has been constructed in 1388 in the name of Nilüfer Hatun, mother of Sultan Murad the 1st. The building that has been constructed as a kitchen for the poor was a philanthropic institution where meal was given for the poor everyday. In the Republic Term, it has been used as a depot by making the necessary modifications and has been opened to service in 1960 as a museum.
The kitchen for the poor, which is a historical building is one of the most beautiful samples of the Ottoman architecture. Inverse T plan in Ottoman architecture is first seen in this building.
The building starts with a porch where the columns and pillars are bearers which are covered with domes and vaults. The main section is entered with a door on which there is an inscription. The main section is covered with a dome in the center of which there is an illumination lantern. Side locations each of which is covered with a dome is entered from the main section. The kitchen draws attention with the very rich and colored stone and brick workmanship special to Byzantine.